Appearance → Menus
The Appearance Menus Screen enables a user to create custom navigation menu. Click the link from the left hand side of the dashboard menu.
If you already have menus set up in your theme, you can manage them as follows.
- Choose the menu that you wish to edit from the top drop down. Some sites have multiple menus so take care to select the right one.
- The items or pages that are already included in your menu are shown under the menu structure. You can drag and drop these to reorder them. To make changes to them you can click on the menu item, that will allow you to change the text or remove the item.
- You can add new items to the menu. You can add a custom link or choose items from the available options shown, such as categories or events.
- To add a page to the menu, tick the box next to the page you want to add and then click add to menu. If you cannot see the page you wish to add, then click on ‘view all’ at the top of the pages box.
- To add a custom link you will need to type in the link name and then add the full link including http://. So if you want to add a manual link perhaps to a blog hosted elseshere it would be something like: http://www.yourblogname.com
- You can then reorder the menu as you wish.
- When you have finished click on the blue button Save Menu
Menu Settings and Theme Locations
Theme locations allow the definition of the placement of your menu. This might be your primary menu or you might have another option if your theme has menu placements in other areas such as sidebars.
You also have the option to automatically add new pages you create to your menu. You will probably want to be careful with this though because if you create a lot of pages your menu might end up not fitting properly.
If you wish to Create a new Menu for your Website
To create a new custom menu, click on ‘create a new menu’ at the top of the page.
Even if your theme does not support custom menus, you can still create them and display them in one of your widget areas, by going to appearance » widgets » custom menus.
If your theme includes support for more than one menu, you can choose which custom menu to associate with each area.
Once a menu is created these options are available:
Delete Menu Click this link to delete the menu. Deleting also deletes the menu items.
Automatically add new top-level pages Check this box so that anytime a new top-level Page is created, that Page will automatically be added to the menu
Save menu Click this button to save the menu.
Now you can edit the menu as described above.