Wild Planet Photo Magazine is an online magazine available for download via subscription or as a one-off purchase.
There were already two existing websites in place, one for each magazine. These needed to be completely re-skinned with a new custom WordPress theme.
Dimitri felt that the current websites were not selling the magazines as well as they could. He felt that the company is being held back and not achieving full potential. The new design should make visitors want to subscribe and the overall image should be professional.
Members who subscribe have different access levels depending on their package. So some members might have unlimited downloads, whereas others will be restricted to a certain number of magazine editions within a given time frame. There is also an online store for people to make one-off purchases. The site has many categories and items to view and so the navigation had to be organised and easy to use.
The home page has impact from the start with a beautiful splash image behind the cover of the latest edition of the magazine. This immediately engages the reader. Buttons in the main menu at the top activate sliders that bring in more menu options and features. I created icons for both of the menus, all coloured to match the blue/grey theme. The same with social media icons and call to action buttons. Large featured images are used throughout the site at the top of the main pages, beautiful and impactful. I created a blurred image for the footer background to finish the page off nicely. The font is a simple san-serif called Open Sans.
- Custom website design, a custom WordPress website for content management (CMS)
- Large home splash image with latest issue magazine cover
- Easy website to navigate with pictorial navigation icons
- A fully responsive theme that will adapt to screen size from desktops to smartphones
- Member login and membership info panel that slides from the right
- Custom login page
- Features panel that slides from the left
- Membership site with subscriptions and various access levels
- Online store for one-off purchases
- News blog
- Readers’ showcase
- Image light box, so when the image is clicked a larger version pops out
- Magazine section with all back issues. Each magazine has a slideshow and purchase options.
- Customised messages on content depending on whether user is logged in or out
- Social media links and social media sharing
- Logged in users can favourite posts
- Newsletter sign up
- Ad rotator sidebar to display paid advertising
- Search engine optimisation (SEO for WordPress)