The most basic thing you can do with a blog in WordPress is add a post. This is a very simple guide to adding a standard post. Adding pages is much more simple but the same rules apply. You just don’t have categories, tags and excerpts to consider with pages.
This download goes through adding a title and text plus:
- Comments and track backs
- Adding an image
Also what to do if you cannot see all of the fields you need by using the screen options.
When you first login, you will arrive at the Dashboard here:
In the menu on the left hand side you can choose posts, pages, comments etc.
- You can view all pages and then edit the pages.
- You can view all posts and edit them.
- You can also add a new post here too.
- You are able to approve comments here.
Select POST » ADD NEW
Adding a new post: Once you click Add New post it will bring you to the post editing screen.
- Title -‐ Add the title as I have done
- Content -‐ Add some text and/or an image in the main editing box (see over for adding images). You can use bullet points and numbered lists. You can add links (see over for adding links).
- Excerpt – You can add a manual excerpt here. In some areas of your theme excerpts might be output rather than full content. With a manual excerpt you can control the content and length of your excerpt.
- Discussion -‐ Decide whether you want to allow commenting. As you can see I have decided not to allow commenting for this post but if you did want it you would need to tick the two boxes below discussion. More on Pingbacks here .
- Categories. You can categorise your posts. This would represent your main topics so if you were a garage it might be cars, repairs etc.
- Tags these are more specific to the post itself, so a post in the category of cars might have the tags, Ferrari, red, fast, upmarket etc.
- Featured images – see here for those »
- Publish your post.
Adding a link
Select the text that you want to be the link text (you can also select an image), select the link symbol and type in the full web address beginning http://. You can also link to content in your own site here by typing in the title of the page or post and selecting it from the dropdown.
Here you can see the selected text and the link box that has popped up.
Adding an image to your post:
Select the upload/insert icon above the post-‐editing box.
This will bring up the screen below, here you can select to upload new files or select from the media library.
Once you have added an image the screen will change:
- Add a meaningful title and Alternate text, these can be the same. Imagine yourself as a blind person when you do this, describe the image the best you can.
- Select your alignment. I have selected none here because it is a large image. For medium images you might want to select left or right. If you select left then the image will float to the left and the text will surround it. Right of course is the other way.
- Link to: you can set this to whatever you would like. If it has a link it makes the image clickable.
- Always select a size here, never full size unless you have scaled and sized your image to fit – small, medium or large. This gets WordPress to resize them correctly for you. This is important for fast page speed.
- When all that is done INSERT INTO POST.
Please note that if you cannot see all of the input fields when you go to do things, you can toggle the screen options at the top right hand side of your screen and tick the boxes that you are missing.
WordPress does not always display everything by default.