When you work from home it’s really important that it’s not an afterthought and that you think about creating a space with things you love. Wall decorations, nice furniture and plants can go a long way to creating the perfect space.
I think it is nice too if you go a step further and make it your very own domain. If you like to play video games or watch Netflix, install a TV if you can so you can also make it an area of leisure too.
The upside of this is that your study or den will become yours completely and you will love spending time there. The downside of course is that you may never leave it but having said that if you are enjoying ‘me’ time rather than work time, I am not sure that matters.
It’s healthy to have a ‘toy’ nearby so you can take a little time out and reward yourself every now and again.
Take care of your eyes
Remember to look after your eyes and reduce eye strain with the 20-20-20 rule.
- Every twenty minutes, stop looking at your screen.
- Stare at something 20 metres away and hold it for 20 seconds.
Six tips for your home office environment
These are things I feel are important for creating a home office:
- Have a separate environment where you can close the door on the rest of the world.
- Have a desk with plenty of space to stretch out.
- Get the most comfortable office chair you can afford
- Put your desk in the lightest place you can, with as much natural light as possible
- Keep your space tidy and organised, that helps to keep your work the same.
- Declutter regularly, that applies to the whole room, not just your desk.
I am well aware that there are thousands of people who are forced to use their bedroom for their home office. I have been there. I started working from home way back in 1993 when I was with Vodafone. It is not easy to start with and home working is as much a discipline as an environment so it is a case of starting with the basics.
I would say natural light, a comfy chair and keeping organised will see you well to begin with. The rest can come when you make your first million. I am still working on that one!