Featured images are important in many WordPress websites because developers can resize them to fit the theme. This means that when you upload a featured image it will automatically resize to fit the space.
To add a featured image to a post:
- Click on the set featured image link at the bottom right hand side of the post editing screen.
- Upload your image (make sure your image is big enough to fit the largest space – usually a page header banner image).
- Once your image is uploaded, add your title and alt tags for the search engines. Then click on the blue button – set featured image.
- You can now see your image at the bottom right hand side of the post editing screen.
- Click update or publish your post as normal.